5 Ways Cleansing Supports Weight Loss
If you’re new to the concept of cleansing, you might wonder why we need to cleanse in the first place. It’s true that our bodies have sophisticated detoxification systems, through the colon, kidneys, lungs, skin, and liver. But these systems are getting overwhelmed.
We live in a toxic world. Toxins are present in our food, water, air, and environment. Over the past hundred years, our world very quickly became filled with unnatural chemicals. Here are some examples:
Food - our food supply is filled with many chemicals that are known carcinogens, hormone disruptors, and oxidants. Food lining the shelves of grocery stores contain preservatives, artificial dyes and flavors, flavor enhancers, fake fats and sugars, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, preservatives, and even plastics from packaging. Processed food has unfortunately been designed to become addictive.
Pollution - outside and in. Indoors, we have constant out-gassing of our paint, construction materials, mattresses, and furniture. Often times the air inside our homes is more polluted than the air outside!
Body Care Products - the lotions, shampoos, makeup, and dyes that we use on our bodies also contain an astonishing amount of chemicals that are absorbed by our skin. These chemicals disrupt our hormones and cause cancer.
Cleaning Products - also known to have harmful chemicals that we breathe in or absorb into our skin.
Pharmaceuticals - overload our livers, and are accompanied by a very long list of side effects.
How Our Body Responds
These substances don’t appear in nature, and our bodies don’t yet know how to handle them. We simply can’t keep up with the onslaught, and the body needs to resort to stuffing them into fat cells to buffer them from your organs. Cancer and other chronic diseases can also be a result of our toxic food and environment.5 Ways Cleansing/Detoxing Supports Weight Loss
- Helps to Heal the Liver and it's Ability to Burn Fat Your liver is the main detoxifying organ and when it’s blocked it becomes difficult to lose weight. A detox can help cleanse your liver, which improves your body’s ability to burn fat.
- Activates Your Fat Burning Hormones Cleansing, done correctly, leaves you in an amazing place hormonally. Your body becomes more sensitive to hormones like leptin and insulin—so you naturally crave less food and burn fat more efficiently.
- Helps Your Body to Burn Fat by Reducing Inflammation This is important because inflammatory hormones cause weight gain and prevent your body from burning fat.
- Stops Junk Food Cravings by Killing Unfriendly Bacteria The most cutting edge research shows that unfriendly bacteria in our intestines causes sugar cravings and weight gain. A detox can help kill the bad bacteria and give your intestines a chance to repopulate with friendly bacteria so you no longer have junk food cravings.
- Reduces Hunger by Repairing Leaky Gut When we give our digestion a rest the damage in our intestines can be repaired so toxins no longer leak into the bloodstream. It also improves nutrient absorption so we are better nourished and less hungry.