Hormones affect every biological system. They are the body’s chemical messengers and without them, nothing works correctly. In women, they govern reproduction, plus metabolizing food, proper immune function, physical and emotional responses to stress and the aging of cells. Hormone imbalance can occur at any age. In young women, imbalances are caused by obesity, and the presence of toxic estrogenic chemicals in today’s dairy products and meat, personal care products, plastics, food containers, pesticides and herbicides, as well as car exhaust.
During the reproductive years, weight gain, blood sugar imbalance and sex hormone imbalances occur due to the stress of modern lifestyles. Women find it hard to properly take care of themselves as they are busy working and taking care of families. They don’t get the amount of exercise they once did and are eating high fat and high sugar comfort foods.
Weight gain is a particular concern during perimenopause. Too much estrogen causes weight gain in the belly area, and belly fat produces more estrogen. It is a vicious cycle. Some women in menopause are still experiencing hot flashes and other perimenopause symptoms.
At any age, getting blood sugar under control is key. Diet and lifestyle choices need to be addressed. Using herbal supplements for hormone balance can be helpful. Here are 8 steps to help balance hormones naturally.
- Clean up your diet by avoiding sugar and processed foods as much as possible.
- Add plenty of organic fruits and vegetables to your diet. Choose meats and dairy products that are organic or raised without hormones and antibiotics.
- Exercise regularly.
- Avoid plastic bottles and food containers whenever possible.
- Choose natural personal care products including shampoos, lotions & cosmetics.
- Use natural household cleaning products.
- Find a good stress management technique.
- Use phytoestrogens such as chasteberry or black cohosh to balance excess estrogen.